The BMC has used a number of voting methods over the last few years and the Governance & Compliance Officer, and Andy Syme, felt that standardising the approach would be beneficial for staff and members.
This was discussed at the Governance Working Group and the paper was agreed with the proviso that it should eventually be incorporated into the ‘Director’s Governance Manual’ and that sections of this would be available to members.
The attached paper was discussed by National Council in June and a document was approved for release to the membership with the caveat that options on edge cases need to be considered.
Key Points of paper:
- There are 2 methods which are considered fair, rigorous and able to be implemented by staff on the day and through electronic voting platforms.
- These apply to all voting at AGMs & GMs.
- Areas may apply these procedures if appropriate but are not mandated to do so.
- This document will eventually be included within a wider governance manual which will be available to members.
- This would result in a change to the AoA whereby any current description of voting processes would be updated to refer to the Voting Procedure document.
Members are asked to:
- Provide their views on the proposed Election Voting Procedure as a process to be adopted post the next AoA update.
- Provide their feedback on the 2 ‘edge case’ processes and any preferences they have between the 2 proposals.