Update from the ODG Chair –November 19
Since I took over Chair I have been working hard to get together a clear project plan and a communication plan that enables you the member to stay in touch with the progress of various recommendations and how they are either:
- Moving through from ODG to Board or National Council with members views being included in the debate on the best way forward.
- Or where the recommendation just needs implementing we are providing you with information and examples of how they are making a difference for the organisation and wider membership.
We intend to do more readable articles over the coming months, so watch out for them.
Work carried out this quarter
- Will Kilner presented to the ODG the BMC Cymru paper for feedback and the Wales group is now finalizing a paper to come to the Board and National Council (Nov/Dec) before wider circulation to members.
- Rab Carrington is collating the Competitions working group final report which will go to the ODG 20th Nov, board on 25 November; a verbal update will be given to National Council on 7 December and shared more widely early next year so that it doesn't get lost in Xmas activities.
- The review of specialist committees has started with Andy Syme working on criteria which went to Board in September and it was agreed with ODG and the Board that this work with AS would become part of a wider review being carried out by the Board on reporting lines.
- Mike Spooner has taken over the Clubs work group. A survey to clubs has now been undertaken and this will feed into Mike’s report.
- Ray Wigglesworth and Lucy Valerio and have met regularly to progress the reviewed constitutions of the Land & Property Trust and the Mountain Heritage Trust; an update will be presented to the board on 25 November.
- The National Council reconstitution group has been is currently grappling with the best ways of recruiting the new posts to the Members Council; this is on schedule for agreement at the 2020 AGM, along with their recommendations on the membership of the reconstituted group.
Examples of what’s been implemented
- Partners Assembly: first meeting scheduled for 26 November with confirmation of attendance by MTUK, MTE, ABC, ABCTT, The Ramblers and the OIA.
- John Porter (soon to be ex President of the Alpine Club) is going to start work post Xmas on setting up the National Clubs forum.
- Mountaineering Council Forum: Steps have been taken to establish a regular (annual) forum of the UK based councils; the CEO’s of the BMC, MS and MI held a half day meeting at Ratho on 4 September.
- Members engagement: regular monthly meetings have been held involving key staff to track developments and actions, including the training day arranged for Area Officers.
- Senior Management Team: The group has been defined with new Terms of Reference, it meets weekly and is currently focusing on the development of the business plan.